[spambayes-dev] RE: Version Data

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 04:06:59 CET 2004

> I just need
> to figure out what to generate in the version.cfg for the
> "Outlook" and "POP3 Proxy" sections so that existing 1.0.x
> versions will be able to update properly when 1.1 is released.

Good point - although we could always change the download page value so that
1.0.x looks in a different place than 1.1.x.  I gather you've got it going
anyway, though, so it'll work with the same file.

> Speaking of upgrades:  now that we have a 1.0 "final" out
> there, are we only going to notify users of new "final"
> releases or do we need to add a way for them to check for new
> pre-release versions as well?

Good question :)  I presume this will do the 'wrong' thing at the moment,
since 1.1a1 is technically a higher version than 1.0.1.

I think the most sensible thing would be to only suggest upgrading when
there is a newer final version out.  spambayes-announce and the website will
cover prereleases coming out, which should be enough (since they may not
actually work well anyway).  Is that a simple change to the code?

An alternative would be to enhance the 'new version' dialog so that if I'm
running 1.0.1 and I check for a new version I get something like:

"""
You are using the most recent version available (SpamBayes 1.0.1).
"""

"""
You are using the most recent version available (SpamBayes 1.0.1).

There is also a prerelease (testing) version available (SpamBayes 1.1a1).
If you would like to help test this version, you may download and install
this.
"""

"""
There is a new version available (SpamBayes 1.0.2).  We suggest that you
upgrade when possible.

Alternatively, there is a prerelease (testing) version available (SpamBayes
1.1a1).  If you would like to help test this version, you may download and
install this.
"""

"""
There is a new version available (SpamBayes 1.1).  We suggest that you
upgrade when possible.
"""

I presume that once there is a 1.1 final, we'll no longer be doing any 1.0.x
bugfix releases.

=Tony.Meyer