[spambayes-dev] Interesting way to purge old msgs w/ t-t-e

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Apr 23 10:59:55 EDT 2004

I have been running train-to-exhaustion for awhile now and like it.  The
only persistent problem I've had to deal with is how to purge old data, that
is, what old messages to delete so my database doesn't grow without bound.
The solution popped into my brain the other day: use the new reversed()
builtin.  If indicated on the tte.py command line with the --reverse flag,
it sets up the mailbox iterators to march in reverse.  This gives more
weight to more recent messages.  Coupled with the --cullext flag it allows
me to easily purge old messages which aren't used in the actual training.
Startup for each testing round is delayed slightly, but that seems to be the
only negative side effect.

Skip