[spambayes-dev] Results for DNS lookup in tokenizer

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Wed Apr 14 05:55:06 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 06:59, Tony Meyer wrote:
> Have you tried using the x-slurp_urls option as a solution for this
> problem? (I'm not saying it's a better solution, just curious if you have,
> and if so, what the results were).

Like x-slurp_urls, enabling this option could allow host names to be used as a
bug by spammers to determine whether an email address is live. That doesnt
seem likely, but its not impossible.

(and it would need custom dns hosting too.... so if we ever see this happening
we would be able to expand this patch to use dns NS records as spam clues!)

> Running
> timcv.py was *really* slow, too - I don't know whether this was because a
> lot of messages timed out, or that the DNS lookup was slow, or what,

A barely related question..... which of our filtering methods allow for
parallel filtering? sb_filter out of procmail does, provided your mta runs
procmail concurrently :-) but sb_bnfilter will serialise them again :-(

--
Toby Dickenson