FW: [spambayes-dev] various Outlook version and RFC2822 compliance

Seth Goodman sethg at GoodmanAssociates.com
Sun Apr 11 01:45:44 EDT 2004

<...>

> > I have also heard that later versions of Outlook are more RFC2822
> > compliant.
>
> Outlook keeps getting better at both accepting and creating
> standard email,
> but it doesn't store email in this format.  Our Outlook addin
> sees email in
> the way Outlook stores it.

Those filthy buggers.  You'd think with the rest of the world using RFC2822,
or at least trying to, these guys would relent and store the messages in
that format so that just in case they ever wanted to use a message for
anything later, it would all be there.  But noooooo!

> Tokenizing anything beyond what the Outlook addin can tokenize now will
> require new Outlook-specific code.

Sounds like a lot of work and an undocumented, moving target.  A recipe for
a mess.

Too bad I'm so habituated to this mail client (and you guys have done such a
fine job of integrating SpamBayes into it).  Maybe OpenOffice will
eventually make an Outlook look-alike, maybe even with an RFC2822 storage
option.  With open source code, you could actually see how the internals
worked instead of reverse engineering it.  But for better or worse, Outlook
will probably remain the "standard" for many years to come.

--

Seth Goodman