[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] Big changes to cvs

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Sat Sep 6 15:28:09 EDT 2003

> Tony quickly discovered that a Python module with name
> starting with "sb-" can't be used in an import statement from
> any other module.

Not quickly enough to avoid checking them all in with the wrong name,
though... (you'd have thought with all these Python experts on the list,
one of them would have pointed out the flaw during the discussions
<wink>).

> I'm unclear on why it was thought
> desirable to uglify all the names,

Blame Greg Ward, it was his idea ;)  The reason is (quoted from Alex):

"the issue is namespace pollution.  The gist of the argument is that if
we use such generic names, then future people will be barred from using
equally generic names... but we have no more right to those names than
those other people, so we should not pre-emptively take the names."

=Tony Meyer