[spambayes-dev] Regarding Whitelisting

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Wed Sep 3 14:22:18 EDT 2003

> I don't suspect I would ever be receiving spam
> from t.a.meyer at massey.ac.nz. And if I did it would
> because there is a spammer on this list or you are a spammer
> (obviously not).

Heh.  If I was a spammer, I think working on a spam filter would be an
excellent hobby, since it would provide an insight into what would work
best <wink>.

Actually, you could get spam from t.a.meyer at massey.ac.nz in other ways,
since I use the address elsewhere.  A spammer could collect addresses
and then send out spam that is 'from' hundreds of different addresses.
How will a whitelist fight that?

> I'm trying to make a case for it, because the case against it is weak.

Realistically, you'd get better results by convincing someone that knows
Python to write the code to do this, and submitting it as a patch.

> Thanks, that's what I have done now - created a new folder
> and enforced rules to move whitelist type mails in there so
> SpamBayes doesn't get to them.

So why did you need whitelisting again?  <0.5 wink>

=Tony Meyer