[spambayes-dev] Regarding Whitelisting

Aleem B aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 2 15:01:07 EDT 2003

Tim Peters wrote:
> [Skip]
> OTOH, before you get it, how could you predict which email address the
> employment offer may appear to come from?  It may come from
> the company or
> from someone at home or on the road, from someone you've
> talked with before
> or from someone you've never heard of in the HR department,
> and you're never
> going to guess in advance the email address of the private
> investigator firm hired to check you out <wink>.

This was not a contrived example. I am/was in this situation and
while looking for jobs, I am whitelisting entire company domains
as well which I will unlist in a week or month's time and I am
quite certain I will not get any spam forged from those addresses.

> Something every email user secretly knows, but doesn't want
> to believe, is that email is an inappropriate medium for truly
> important communication.  So it goes.

Why so?

I think you are mixing two different issues here: reliability
and security. For the latter you can use encryption and for
the former, well, it is totally dependent on the reliability
of your ISPs mail servers (backup server, backup power etc). I
wasn't getting phone calls during the recent blackout (telephone
networks were too busy) but the mails got through when I did
eventually get a chance to check.

It is also the cheapest communication medium and quite hence
preferred for communicating over longer distances.

The only reason it is not *preferred* is due to the lack
of expression and context, resulting in miscommunication
or misunderstanding.

Aleem

[ http://aleembawany.com/ ]