[spambayes-dev] RE: IMAP setup

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Sep 1 14:14:15 EDT 2003

> I hadn't gotten time to actually look at the source yet, but
> I've been planning on setting up a mail server with
> imapfilter. IMAP is a server-based process, so I assumed that
> imapfilter would run on the server, but reading the top of
> the source I'm not at all sure that's the case. Have I missed
> the boat in a really, really big way here?

The imapfilter is designed to run on the client's machine, in the same
way that their mail program does.  Various people have talked about
integrating spambayes into an IMAP server, but I don't really anyone
posting any details of actually doing so (you could google through the
archives to check).

> My plan was to run Sendmail, MailScanner, SpamAssassin, etc
> in their normal fashion, but then let individual users have
> their own specific SpamBayes IMAP filter to really clean things up.

If it's to be individual, is there a reason to not just let them run
imapfilter themselves?

If you need to keep it on the server, you should be able to run
imapfilter for each user; you'd probably want to optimise it for this if
you have more than a couple of users.

=Tony Meyer