[spambayes-dev] Setting up a new account

Rob Hooft rob at hooft.net
Thu Oct 2 11:15:06 EDT 2003

I am setting up a new mail account for the first time in a long while, and decided to check the current docs for spambayes on how I am supposed to do that. Here are some comments.

1) First I thought about setting up the imapfilter.
     To configure SpamBayes, run "sb_imapfilter.py -b", which should open a web
     page to <http://localhost:8880>, click on the "Configuration" link at the
     top right, and fill in the relevant details.
   "which should open a web page": what does that mean? Does it start a server and
   a browser? For me it tried to run a browser, but it did hang in there for a long
   time and then I decided to give up. I was confused. I managed to run sb_server.py
   correctly, and connect to it using an external browser. Impressive.

I set up a procmail filter instead.

2) sb_mboxtrain.py does not say that it can also handle Maildir, I had to find out
   from the source that it can under non-Windows O/S.

3) In the handling of Maildir by sb_mboxtrain, deleted messages are not ignored.

4) sb_mboxtrain requires a -d/-D argument, it should probably use the values
   specified in the rc file.

I must say that this has come a long way since the versions I have running for my other accounts. I may even decide to upgrade my other setups, making training sessions a lot easier....

Rob

--
Rob W.W. Hooft  ||  rob at hooft.net  ||  http://www.hooft.net/people/rob/