[spambayes-dev] Spontaneous training in Outlook addin?

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon Jul 28 15:13:47 EDT 2003

> I am yet to see an assertion error.  I *suspect* that it was
> the result of the database only being saved at shutdown time.

I've noticed too that the assertion errors that used to get reported all
the time for pop3proxy (etc) have dried up.  I wonder if this was just
the dumbdbm problem all the time, and we can close that bug.

> So it is unclear if the error has truly stopped, or people
> are silently re-training from scratch.

Similarly, I wonder if the pop3proxy folk have just read the archived
messages and are also just re-training.

> Maybe I should change the text to indicate we would
> appreciate a quick mail to spambayes-dev at python.org
> indicating they saw the error?

+1.

> Yes, I am inclined to believe that is true for my examples
> too.  I keep a copy of "good mail, but looks spammy" in a
> discrete folder, and sometimes these are moved, sometimes
> they are copied from my Inbox.  I am about to
> check in a sandbox tool to prove (or not) this.

I've also seen this, but not worried about it.  I had a vague idea that
spambayes knew more than me and was cleverly ignoring non-mail items or
something!  I have a "spam lookalikes" folder, too, but it only contains
moved items, not copies.  However, when I read Tim's message I did a
retrain to see if this still happened to me, and it's not at the moment,
whatever that means.

=Tony Meyer