[spambayes-dev] improving dumbdbm's survival chances...

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jul 15 19:48:33 EDT 2003

> As I recall, the only requirement for running SpamBayes is
> Python of at least version 2.2. So, starting from where I am
> now, what's the best way to get to a better system?

Easiest
-------

Run this from a console window:
    dbExpImp.py -e -D hammie.db -f hammie.export
    dbExpImp.py -i -d hammie.pkl -f hammie.export
(There may be some way of doing this in one step, but the __doc__ is
confusing...)
You can delete the hammie.export file after this.

Now, if you previously ran pop3proxy like this:
    pop3proxy.py -d hammie.db
You should now run it like this:
    pop3proxy.py -D hammie.pkl

If not, open your ini file (probably bayescustomize.ini in the spambayes
root directory) and change the reference to hammie.db to hammie.pkl, and
add the following entry:
[Storage]
persistent_use_database: False

You're now using pickles instead of dumbdbm, just like Tim.

Second easiest

Run this from a console window:
    dbExpImp.py -e -D hammie.db -f hammie.export

Delete the hammie.db file.

Go to http://pybsddb.sf.net, download the binary installer, and do the
install.

Run this from a console window:
    dbExpImp.py -I -D hammie.db -f hammie.export
You can delete the hammie.export file as well if you like.

=Tony Meyer