[spambayes-dev] ANNOUNCE: New SpamBayes binary for Outlook available

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jul 1 17:20:37 EDT 2003

> [This mail isn't going to spambayes-announce as yet - I would
> prefer to hear some success reports first]

Chicken ;)  Do you plan to also release it via the sf system?

> A new Outlook addin for SpamBayes is available from
> http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/spambayes - it has a
> number of new features, but most notably,
> should work much better on Windows 9x and Windows XP.  If you
> had problems installing version 2 of the binary, I would
> appreciate you testing this version.

I could not install the 002 binary, but this one worked fine.  WinXP
SP1, Outlook 2002 SP2.  (I unregistered the CVS plugin first, but
installed it over the config files, so it didn't have to create any of
those, however).

Uninstall worked fine, with two notes:

  (1) the toolbar wasn't deleted - is it meant to be?  I have vague
memories of discussing this with you a while back.
  (2) This is only an issue for those who go from the binary to the
source - I now have an Outlook.ini from the binary, where all my
settings were migrated to (even the ones that were in
unknown_profile.ini).  When I uninstalled the binary, and re-registered
the cvs plugin, my config settings were lost (well, unable to be found).
I had to manually copy them back over.

> Many other bugs have been fixed, and a couple of new options
> added - see the new "configuration guide" for details on some
> of the options you can configure via a text editor.

I've been using these in the source version and they all seem fine :)

I did notice one bug, though.  To test, I deleted a message as spam and
then tried to recover it, but it wouldn't.  However, I checked and I get
the same error with the source version, so it's not the installer's
fault...  This is the trace I get:

Recovering to folder 'Inbox' and ham training message 'SB Outlook
documentation' -  Error getting property from stream (-2147221233, 'OLE
error 0x8004010f', None, None)
pythoncom error: Python error invoking COM method.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "out1.pyz/win32com.server.policy", line 275, in _Invoke_
  File "out1.pyz/win32com.server.policy", line 280, in _invoke_
  File "out1.pyz/win32com.server.policy", line 541, in _invokeex_
  File "out1.pyz/addin", line 453, in OnClick
  File "out1.pyz/train", line 46, in train_message
  File "out1.pyz/msgstore", line 678, in GetEmailPackageObject
  File "out1.pyz/msgstore", line 621, in _GetMessageText
exceptions.AssertionError:

All other messages work fine...any ideas?

=Tony Meyer