[spambayes-dev] NEWTRICKS

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 00:52:36 EST 2003

[David Abrahams]
> I keep getting quite a few spams which fit the descriptions below
> (from NEWTRICS.txt):

I'm sure everyone gets them, the interesting question is whether they're
evading your spambayes filter.  They don't seem to give mine particular
trouble (of course I train on those that score Unsure; I'm not sure I've
ever seen one score as Ham).

> ... [descriptions of attempted obfuscation via insertion of
>      punctuation, and replacing letters by digits] ...

> Since "this file is for ideas that have or have not yet been tried",
> I'd love to know what constitutes "trying".  Is there some official
> testing procedure or corpus we can test against?  I'd like to know
> whether any change I make is worth proposing.  Of course I can try it
> on my own databases of Ham and Spam first...

There's no official corpus, else we'd be teaching the system to recognize
that corpus.  Alex gave the right pointers to docs for the testing
framework.