[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Accidentally deleted Junkemailfolder.

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Dec 18 17:30:23 EST 2003

[Mark]
> It does get complex though - what happens when the user renames
> the folder?

[Tim]
> It's a part of Outlook's model that doesn't make sense to
> people.  When my sister, for example, renames or moves a
> folder holding Word documents, she'd be baffled if Word *did*
> magically notice this.  The idea that a data object is
> accessed by, and only by, its current "string path", has been
> beat into her by Explorer, by all the other Office programs,
> and-- for that matter --by all other programs she uses too.

This surprised me - I've usually found people don't understand why Explorer
et al can't keep track of things when they are renamed.  I think maybe the
difference is that most of these people started out using Macs rather than
Windows, and Macs have always managed this better (compare aliases to
shortcuts, for example).

Of course, the Outlook plug-in is for Windows users, so that's not all that
relevant ;)

+1 to switching to names in a release at some point in the future.  How
often do Outlook 'experts' change the names of their spam/unsure folders
anyway?

=Tony Meyer