[spambayes-dev] RE: [Spambayes] Accidentally deleted Junkemailfolder.

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 10:00:15 EST 2003

Mark Hammond wrote:
>> I wonder whether the Outlook addin should stop trying to remember
>> Outlook's internal folder IDs, remember the user-visible string
>> paths instead, and enumerate the folders to (re)discover the
>> internal Outlook IDs "whenever anything may have changed".
>
> I'm not sure what you had in mind for "anything may have changed",
> but in general, I agree.  I always had the idea that we would also
> store the FQN, and fall back to that when necessary, making the
> folder ID more a "cached" value.  It just never happened.  It does
> get complex though - what happens when the user renames the folder?
> Before you know it, we have even more cruft that noone really
> understand why is there <wink>

One of the most common problems seems to be when the spam folder is
actually still sitting under Deleted Items.  The ID is unchanged so
SpamBayes keeps moving the spam there and people think the messages are
just disappearing.

As a partial interim solution, could we check for this special case,
i.e. if we successfully access the spam folder by ID but it's parent
folder is Deleted Items then move it back to the top level (or store the
original FQN and move it back to there)?

Another possibility might be to attach an ItemAdd event handler to the
Deleted Items folder and check for an item with the same ID as the spam
folder.  Does ItemAdd get called for added folders, or only for added
items?

--
Kenny Pitt