[spambayes-dev] Who wants to pretend to be a spammer?

Tim Stone tim at fourstonesExpressions.com
Tue Dec 16 15:18:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:13:11 -0500, Kenny Pitt <kennypitt at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Tim Stone wrote:
>> How about this for a "testing" regimen... one of us can send a known
>> list of spambayes users a series of "spams," with the idea being to
>> see how many of them can get through existing databases, and how long
>> it takes their databases to learn to correctly classify them?  Would
>> that be an interesting exercise?
>
> Interesting idea, but wouldn't it be tricky to make your psuedo-spams
> representative of real-world spam patterns?  For example, it seems like
> whatever e-mail address and/or SMTP server you use to send the messages
> would quickly become a significant spam clue.

Yeah, those could be some challenges.  I'm not convinced of the
usefullness of the idea, but it *could* give us a leg up on spam as it
evolves.  I dunno, maybe it can't evolve fast enough to fool us for long,
but...

--

Vous exprimer; Exprésese; Te stesso esprimere; Express yourself!
Tim Stone