[spambayes-dev] Nuke experimental_ham_spam_imbalance_adjustment?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Dec 13 22:19:15 EST 2003

As far as I understand it, experimental_ham_spam_imbalance_adjustment has
been found to be ineffective, and that all default options have now set this
to False.

However, there is an issue regarding existing users of the addin.  For
Outlook in particular, if an old copy of "default_bayes_customize.ini"
exists, we do not copy our new version over it.  As
experimental_ham_spam_imbalance_adjustment was set to True in early
versions, this option will remain in effect, even when these users upgrade
to newer versions.

I don't think a similar issue exists with the other apps.

Short term, the solution seems to be to nuke
experimental_ham_spam_imbalance_adjustment from classifier.py - unless of
course, there is some good reason to leave it for continued experiments (in
which case I would just force it False in the Outlook init code)

Longer term, I think the way we copy this file to the users data directory
was a mistake, and I am likely to fix it (there is a bug on it from a
confused user).

Any thoughts?

Mark.