[spambayes-dev] sb_notesfilter.py changes

Tim Stone tim at fourstonesExpressions.com
Mon Dec 1 11:52:23 EST 2003

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded spambayes a few days ago, saw that you had some notes
> support,
> and tried to integrate the script to run on receipt of mail in my notes
> client.

Very primitive support, as you have seen.  Glad to see that these were the
only changes you required <wink>.  Would you let me know how it works for
you as time goes on?  One thing that I noticed was that it became less and
less able to accurately classify, and I think it's related to a couple of
things.  One is that notes does not give you headers in the rfc822 sense.
Thus the "no headers found" token becomes the deciding factor if your
spam/ham ratio gets way out of whack, which mine was... like 3000:250 or
something like that.  It started deciding that almost everything was
spam... let me know what your experience is.  If your s:h ratio remains
more reasonable, i would expect it to behave much more reasonably.

I'd love to have a notes integration, similar to the outlook integration,
that doesn't rely on an external program using the com interface... but
that is beyond my abilities with notes.

> These were the changes that I had to make (attached diff file):
>
> add -P password option to specify the notes password.  Not terribly
> secure
> I guess, but
> you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
>
> make it so that the pathname of the mail database is used both on server
> and on
> local machine.
>
> make the replication occur only if running on the server fails.
>
> allow redirection of stdout and stderr to file (-R filename)
>
> allow logging to a notes database.
>
> add file "Spam" to processed mail, to record spam probability.

I'll check 'em out!  Thanks.

> I then added an "agent" (lotus speak for script) that processes new mail,
> and some menu options for manually marking as spam,  for unmarking
> falsely classified spam and for training as ham.

I tried to do this, but just couldn't figure it out... if you can give me
the source for the agent, I can include it in the documentation... again,
thanks for the input.

--

Vous exprimer; Exprésese; Te stesso esprimere; Express yourself!
Tim Stone