[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] fatal error?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 26 15:28:11 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 10:17, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> Note that for the Berkeley-based storages, I had to implement
> application level locking for all reads and writes, but in that
> "application" there are definitely multiple threads doing both.
> Berkeley itself has a lock subsystem, but I couldn't trust that because
> it is statically allocated and there are situations during some
> transactions where an unbounded number of pages could get touched,
> exhausting the lock table.  So I ditched Berkeley's locks and used an
> application level (threading) lock.

Tim helpfully reminds me that you're using the dbapi to Berkeley, which
doesn't create an environment.  I've never actually run Berkeley without
an environment (i.e. a directory that contains all the db files) and
IIRC we couldn't find much information on running Berkeley in that type
of configuration.

-Barry