[spambayes-dev] Re: [Spambayes] Bug

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 11 14:51:51 EDT 2003

    John> Got this from SpamBayes, just downloaded and installed the latest
    John> from the site today and installed for the first time.

This has been seen more and more recently.  I think we could "correct"
messages which have raw 8-bit text in their headers before feeding them to
the email package.  Thus this particular message's Subject: header would get
converted from

    Cvnf stability money-maker w!hen life seem5 to expensive, you ñeed to get ahêad

to (I think):

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cvnf stability money-maker w!hen life seem5 to expensive, you =F1eed to g=
    et ah=EAad=

You'd obviously have to make an educated guess about the actual encoding.  I
have a function that does a pretty good job.  The list of encodings to try
could be an option with a default oriented toward ISO-8859-* and its various
Windows variants.

Skip