[Soap-Python] rpclib + Django + Mono/.NET 2.0 Web Services

Benjamin Cardon bj.cardon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 06:09:53 CET 2012

Guys,

I'm trying to get these three working together well and I'm trying to use
SOAP (mostly for .NET convenience).

I finally got rpclib and Django working well together, but the SOAP
integration with MonoDevelop is not great.

First, to get Django and rpclib working together, I had to add this to
rpclib.server.django:

from __future__ import absolute_import

otherwise I got the error 'no module http'. I am on Ubuntu 11.10, Python
2.7.2. Not sure why that was necessary.

Second, I have a django project called rpctest with an app called core
where the view is contained. Here is the code in my Django app.

http://pastie.org/3469070

Third, I have a basic .NET 2.0 application in MonoDevelop with a Web
Reference pointing at 127.0.0.1:8000/hello_world/service.wsdl and a .NET
2.0 web service that is hooked into it. Here is that code. I named the
service reference hwmt in my code.

http://pastie.org/3469090

So on to problems?

First problem, I cannot use the web service as functions. The advantage to
.NET SOAP is that you shouldn't have to do a bunch of object creation and
stuff to pass simple types but in this case I have to build an object and
define the types on it. Not very graceful I think.

The bigger problem, though, is that when running the .NET webservice I get
a 403 error as it tries to access http://127.0.0.1:8000/hello_world/service.

Am I doing something wrong here?? Getting this working well would save me a
lot of time on a project I'm working on. Otherwise I'll have to go .NET to
.NET...

Thanks
BJ