[Soap-Python] Soaplib beat1 released into the wild

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:38:05 CET 2011

Hi

On 21 January 2011 00:53, Chris Austin <chris at sydneysys.com> wrote:
> We are pleased to announce 2.1.0-beta1 of soaplib. This introduces
> significant API changes since the 2.1.0-alpha released in Sept 2010.

Great :)

> This release also marks the transition to new maintainers (Brad Allen
> and Chris Austin), and a new repository location indicated on the new
> PyPI record ( https://github.com/soapapistas/soaplib).

Ummm...  can't we go 2 months without changing the location of the
repository? :)  What happened to github.com/soaplib/soaplib?

Actually, I see the soapapistas link gives a 404 error (like the one
mentioned by Ovnicraft for the Sphinx docs) so is
https://github.com/soaplib/soaplib still the correct URL for the
repository?

> We are interested in establishing a robust community process to
> encourage adoption and contribution. Please let us know if you have
> input on how we can get there; the goal is to provide a solid
> end-to-end choice for working with SOAP using Python.

I've only been using soaplib for a couple of months, and it's great,
but one thing that's a little confusing is the proliferation of
unfinished branches.  i.e 0.8 beta, 1.0 beta, 2.0 alpha, 2.1 beta.

I realise this is probably just because of the history of the project,
but it would be a lot less confusing if someone could just tag a 1.0
final release or something so that someone who wants stable and
working code (even if it's not guaranteed to be bug free) knows what
to use.

It is my impression that everything other than current master has been
abandoned.  Is this the case?  Or is it planned to release a final 1.0
version at some point?

Anyway, the above doesn't affect me anymore.  I'm using 1.0 and will
probably stick with it for the moment, but new users might have a
slightly easier time if it's clearer which branch they should be
using.

Thanks.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>