[Soap-Python] soaplib versioning and community process

Burak Arslan burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr
Thu Oct 7 22:28:57 CEST 2010

hi,

maybe i'm taking things too literally. here's what the lgpl says:

... PARTIES PROVIDE THE LIBRARY "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.

so i could even transform soaplib to a library that just outputs random
breakfast recipes on import, and you can't blame me for what i did,
because you accepted lgpl by installing soaplib.

so i disagree with all those arguments about why i should care for lazy
users blindly installing the latest from pypi without running a diff
with what they already have and expect everything to work smoothly. the
one who installs that software should assume responsibility for his/her
actions, and can't blame anybody else if an update broke his/her setup.
that's there, in the contract between you and me, in capital letters, no
less.

but,

the soaplib entry in pypi is not my property -- it belongs to everybody.
i'm just doing a kind of a minor public service by deciding what goes
in. so i don't think i have the right to ignore what others say about
how i perform that work.

having seen the reactions to my pypi release policy so far, i will
delete 2.x from pypi, and won't put it back until there's a reasonable
agreement on its readiness for a wider audience.

any objections?

best regards,
burak