[Soap-Python] soaplib versioning and community process

Burak Arslan burak.arslan at arskom.com.tr
Thu Oct 7 13:27:15 CEST 2010

 On 10/07/10 13:40, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Burak Arslan wrote at 2010-10-7 11:27 +0300:
>> so, 2.0 is alpha. i can't make it clearer that it's not ready for
>> production yet. if you don't want to run my half-baked alpha software, do
>> this:
> It may seem surprising, that 2.0 is started before 1.0 is finally released.

hello dieter,

soaplib development never stopped. i just created a branch before
starting another overhaul, so that those who need a stable version
sooner rather than later have something to work with. did you see the
diff stat between 1_0 and master?

$ git diff --stat 1_0 master
 README.md                                   |   12 +-
 doc/source/index.rst                        |    1 +
 setup.cfg                                   |    2 +-
 setup.py                                    |    2 +-
 src/soaplib/__init__.py                     |   45 +--
 src/soaplib/_base.py                        |  719
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 src/soaplib/mime.py                         |  290 +++++++++++
 src/soaplib/serializers/base.py             |   24 +-
 src/soaplib/serializers/clazz.py            |   13 +-
 src/soaplib/serializers/enum.py             |    5 +-
 src/soaplib/serializers/exception.py        |   22 +-
 src/soaplib/serializers/primitive.py        |   15 +-
 src/soaplib/service.py                      |  297 ++++++-----
 src/soaplib/soap.py                         |  313 +-----------
 src/soaplib/test/interop/server/_service.py |   17 +-
 src/soaplib/test/interop/server/basic.py    |    2 +-
 src/soaplib/test/interop/test_suds.py       |   14 +
 src/soaplib/test/serializers/test_enum.py   |    5 +-
 src/soaplib/test/test_soap.py               |    2 +-
 src/soaplib/wsgi.py                         |  655
+++----------------------

it touches almost the whole code base! the 1_0 branch did see some
real-world testing, and i did not want to throw that all away. i
explained why i can't stabilize soaplib-1.0 in another message.

i have to work at my own pace. that's the best i can do for everybody
else without distorting my own schedule.

> This indicates a great deal of instability in the development process
> (major versions are often associated with incompatible changes) --
> not a good sign for the adoption of a package...

i disagree. i think fast iteration is a positive sign.

>> easy_install -U "soaplib<=1.0"
> This will get soaplib at or before 1.0, but not e.g. "1.0p1" (patch 1).
>
> There is no fully reliably way to specify "latest (stable) 1.x release" --
> a "setuptools" limitation. One might try something like "<=1.999999".
>
> The missing feature to easily restrict to stable versions with "easy_install"
> causes some poeple to recommend to release only stable versions to "PyPI".
> I have often got unstable versions with indeed have broken things for me...
>
>> in all honesty, i don't think that's a hurdle.
> The slightly suboptimal version specification above, may show the
> contrary ;-)

those complaints belong to the setuptools issue tracker. you should know
the limitations of your tools and take better care not to break your
production.

best regards,
burak