[Security-sig] Unified TLS API for Python: Draft 3

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:30:00 EST 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2017, at 21:17, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 4:18 AM, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:
>
> For this reason I’m inclined to lean towards the more verbose approach of
> just writing down what all of the cipher suites are in an enum. That way,
> it gets much easier to validate what’s going on. There’s still no
> requirement to actually support them all: an implementation is allowed to
> quietly ignore any cipher suites it doesn’t support. But that can no longer
> happen due to typos, because typos now cause AttributeErrors at runtime in
> a way that is very obvious and clear.
>

> I’d say additionally that given the verbose approach a third party library
> could provide this OpenSSL like API and be responsible for “compiling” it
> down to the actual list of ciphers for input into the verbose API. If one
> of those got popular and seemed stable enough to add it, we could always
> add it in later as a higher level API for cipher selection without the
> backends needing to change anything since the output of such a function
> would still be a list of all of the desired ciphers which would be the
> input to the backends.
>

> Yup, strongly agreed.

https://github.com/tiran/tlsdb/blob/master/tlsdb.py

- [ ] ENH: tlsdb.py: add parsers/datasources for {SChannel, SecureTransport}

  - [x] openssl-master
  - [x] openssl-1.02
  - [x] gnutls-master
  - [x] nss-tip
  - [x] mod_nss-master
  - [x] **iana**
  - [x] mozilla-server-side
  - [ ] SChannel
  - [ ] SecureTransport

- [ ] ENH: tlsdb.py: add OpenSSL-workalike lookup method
- [ ] BLD: tls.config.__: generate Enums?