[SciPy-User] The different results given by scipy and https://quaternions.online/ when converting Euler angles to Quaternion representation.

Hongyi Zhao hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 06:17:53 EDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:22 PM Jerome Kieffer <Jerome.Kieffer at esrf.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 09:27:47 +0100
> Guillaume Gay <guillaume at damcb.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd test with 'obvious' cases to get to the bottom of that, but I mostly
> > think one should trust scipy to do "the right thing" as it has had more
> > scrutiny than the website.
>
> One of the reference piece of code I know is the one from C. Gohlke:
> https://github.com/malcolmreynolds/transformations

Thank you for the valuable tip. In fact, I've checked the above
package and find that it's just a very outdated clone - the recent
commit was done on Jul 23, 2014 - of the original package by C. Gohlke
located here:

https://pypi.org/project/transformations/

And also see the author's website for more information:

https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/

I'll do some further inspections based this package and communicate
with the author if necessary.

Thanks again for your helpful notes.

Regards,
HY

> It support the full zoology of euler angles (there are 24 different conventions)
>
> Maybe it will help you to sort out who is doing what.
> --
> Jérôme Kieffer

Assoc. Prof. Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials, Xingtai Polytechnic College
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China