[SciPy-User] ANN: SciPy 1.0 beta release

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 21:08:59 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Joe Harrington <jh at physics.ucf.edu> wrote:

> All of this is orthogonal to the original and much more important point:
> We're not telling people HOW to fix their deprecated code.

Eh, we do. The "deprecated features" section of
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/doc/release/1.0.0-notes.rst has
details for most items. In case where that becomes impractical like for all
the misc.pilutil functions, the deprecation warnings themselves will say
what to do. Example:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/misc/pilutil.py#L108

The only exceptions are for things we remove because they're just wrong,
like bytescale:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/scipy/misc/pilutil.py#L32. There
we can't tell the user what to use, because it depends on the application -
but almost certainly bytescale is not the right solution. Hence it's just
removed.

> Perhaps an
> interested student could volunteer to make a page on scipy.org listing
> the deprecations and removals in each version (pulled from the release
> notes).  Then, that person, developers, or other interested users could
> add modern alternatives and the rationale for removal.

I'm -1 on a website for this on scipy.org, even if there was a volunteer.
It's much less discoverable than having good warnings in the code, and will
inevitably go out of date.

Ralf