[SciPy-User] install problem

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 04:37:19 EST 2017

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
>> failing with:
>>
>> $ sudo pip install scipy
>

> "sudo pip" is a bad idea, you're installing to the same place that your
> package manager installs things to. If you want to install from source for a
> Python installed by APT, use `pip install scipy --user`.
>
>> Downloading/unpacking scipy
>>   Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
>>   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
>> for package scipy
>>     /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
>> distribution option: 'python_requires'
>

> This is just a warning, not an error. We cannot tell what is wrong from
> that. Please provide a full build log, preferably as a gist.

Also - I suspect you have a really old version of pip - because it
doesn't recognize 'python_requires' and is not downloading the binary
wheel.  Your life would be much easier if you reinstall pip with:

wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
python get-pip.py --user

Then make sure that $HOME/.local/bin is on your path and

hash -r

to make sure that you get the new pip command.

Cheers,

Matthew