[SciPy-User] [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:34:35 EDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2015 9:15 AM, "Chris Barker" <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
> >>   This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code
> when
> >>   SSE2 was not used.
> >

> > Note that there is discusion right now on pyton-dev about requireing
> SSE2 for teh python.org build of python3.5 -- it does now, so it's fine
> for third party pacakges to also require it. But there is some talk of
> removing that requirement -- still a lot of old machines around, I guess --
> particular at schools and the like.
>
> Note that the 1.10.1 release announcement is somewhat misleading --
> apparently the affected builds have actually required SSE2 since numpy 1.8,
> and the change here just makes it even more required. I'm not sure if this
> is all 32 bit builds or only ones using msvc that have been needing SSE2
> all along. The change in 1.10.1 only affects msvc, which is not what most
> people are using (IIUC Enthought Canopy uses msvc, but the pypi, gohlke,
> and Anaconda builds don't).
>
> I'm actually not sure if anyone even uses the 32 bit builds at all :-)

I cannot divulge exact figures for downloads, but for us at Enthought,
windows 32 bits is in the same ballpark as OS X and Linux (64 bits) in
terms of proportion, windows 64 bits being significantly more popular.

Linux 32 bits and OS X 32 bits have been in the 1 % range each of our
downloads for a while (we recently stopped support for both).

David