[SciPy-User] Is it good practice to use IPython notebooks as your Python IDE?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:08:07 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Brian Merchant <bhmerchant at gmail.com> wrote:

> So far, I know that IPython might have some trouble with integrating in
> matplotlib animations, but that too is possible with a little research.
> Otherwise, I should be able to do everything else quite easily, including
> debugging, according to the IPython documentation. In fact, writing parallel
> code in IPython might be a very nice idea given how it seems to offer a lot
> of functionality in that direction.

I use the notebook a lot, but I don't use it as an IDE.

My usual workflow is to write code with my text editor, test at the
terminal and explore code at the IPython terminal.

When I want to demo or teach what I have done, then I usually make a notebook.

I find that writing substantial code in the notebook quickly makes me
lose focus on what I am trying to do.  It's partly that the notebook
is really not good enough as a code editor for serious coding work.
It is also the state in the notebook that makes it very easy to write
code that assumes variables that have since been deleted or renamed.

Also - if I want to write a reasonably long document of any type, I
really need my familiar text editor so that I am not distracted by the
process of editing, as I often am in the notebook.

So - I think the notebook is really ideal for demos, short and
informal explorations, and as a teaching tool, but I would personally
find it very distracting as an IDE.

Cheers,

Matthew