[SciPy-User] Is it good practice to use IPython notebooks as your Python IDE?

Brian Merchant bhmerchant at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:01:34 EDT 2015

I need to write about 2000 lines worth of code (based on my last
implementation of the project I am working on). I anticipate that I'll be
using profilers (including line profilers), numpy, Numba, possibly Cython
and almost definitely matplotlib animations. I will need to write my own
classes, so my program isn't just going to be one long script.

Previously, I used Spyder for development, but I am wondering if it makes
sense for one to use an IPython notebook alone. I am considering that
option so that I force myself to program "literately" -- lots of headings,
and nice comments. Graphs embedded to show the effects of optimizations,
and so forth.

So far, I know that IPython might have some trouble with integrating in
matplotlib animations, but that too is possible with a little research.
Otherwise, I should be able to do everything else quite easily, including
debugging, according to the IPython documentation. In fact, writing
parallel code in IPython might be a very nice idea given how it seems to
offer a lot of functionality in that direction.

Do people use IPython (notebooks) as a complete IDE often? If not, why not?

Kind regards,
Brian