[SciPy-User] Installing scipy on MacOS X

Slater Joseph C , PhD, PE joseph.slater at wright.edu
Mon Jun 15 15:59:46 EDT 2015

I'm working towards developing for scipy (staying away from compiled code) and I'm being tripped up by an inability to install scipy (16.0) in a virtualenv on MacOS X. I've tried different variants of python (MacPorts, Homebrew, Official distribution) (2.7.10, 3.4), and have tried multiple fortran compilers (starting with form the recommended site, then from elsewhere). I get the same error message regardless.

error: Command "/usr/local/bin/gfortran -Wall -g -L/usr/local/lib build/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4/scipy/cluster/_vq.o -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/local/gfortran/lib/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin14/5.1.0 -Lbuild/temp.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4 -ltatlas -ltatlas -ltatlas -lgfortran -o build/lib.macosx-10.6-intel-3.4/scipy/cluster/_vq.so" failed with exit status 1

This does remind me why I left Fortran years ago, but isn't entertaining in the least. Can anyone walk me through a successful process? I'd greatly appreciate the help.

FWIW: I do have it "working" within MacPorts, but that doesn't suit my expectation of development. I'd like to be able to merge my code into scipy and submit a pull request, eventually.

Best Regards,
Joe