[SciPy-User] OT: The standard of Bayesian statistics textbooks (rant)

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sat Jun 14 19:51:48 EDT 2014

On 15 Jun 2014 00:39, "Sturla Molden" <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can we teach Bayesian statistics to new students when utter ignorance
> like this makes it into textbooks?
>
> https://twitter.com/nedlom/status/477948016272629760
>
> This is from Scott M. Lynch, "Introduction to Applied Bayesian Statistics
&
> Estimation for Social Scientists", published by Springer Verlag.
>
> I'll leave it as an exercise to understand why this integral is
> ridiculously easy to compute. If you still don't see it, look up the
> definition of an expectancy value...

Of course any integral can be written as an expectation, but if you have a
tractable general method for computing the expected value of arbitrary
distributions then you should publish it and collect your Fields medal.

("I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this proposition, which
doesn't fit into 140 characters...")

-n