[SciPy-User] SciPy-User Digest, Vol 120, Issue 12

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 18:34:44 EST 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Michal Romaniuk
<michal.romaniuk06 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Michal Romaniuk
>> <michal.romaniuk06 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm saving a large batch of data using savemat and although I get no
>>> errors, the files produced are not readable for either matlab or scipy.
>>> Is there a limit on file size?
>>
>> Ah - yes there is - the individual matrices in the mat file cannot be
>> larger than 4GB.  Is it possible you hit this limit?
>>
>> Sorry, I only realized this when Richard Llewellyn pointed this out a
>> couple of weeks ago on the list:
>>
>> http://scipy-user.10969.n7.nabble.com/SciPy-User-scipy-io-loadmat-throws-TypeError-with-large-files-td18558.html
>>
>> The current scipy code has an error message for matrices that are too large.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew
>
> Well, I managed to work around the problem to some extent by setting
> do_compression=True. Now Matlab can read those files (so they must be
> valid to some extent) but SciPy can't (even though they were written
> with SciPy).
>
> I get this error:
>

> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio.pyc in
> loadmat(file_name, mdict, appendmat, **kwargs)
>     173     variable_names = kwargs.pop('variable_names', None)
>     174     MR = mat_reader_factory(file_name, appendmat, **kwargs)
> --> 175     matfile_dict = MR.get_variables(variable_names)
>     176     if mdict is not None:
>     177         mdict.update(matfile_dict)
>
> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio5.pyc in
> get_variables(self, variable_names)
>     290                 continue
>     291             try:
> --> 292                 res = self.read_var_array(hdr, process)
>     293             except MatReadError, err:
>     294                 warnings.warn(
>
> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio5.pyc in
> read_var_array(self, header, process)
>     253            `process`.
>     254         '''
> --> 255         return self._matrix_reader.array_from_header(header,
> process)
>     256
>     257     def get_variables(self, variable_names=None):
>
> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.so in
> scipy.io.matlab.mio5_utils.VarReader5.array_from_header
> (scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.c:5401)()
>
> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.so in
> scipy.io.matlab.mio5_utils.VarReader5.array_from_header
> (scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.c:4849)()
>
> PATH/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.so in
> scipy.io.matlab.mio5_utils.VarReader5.read_real_complex
> (scipy/io/matlab/mio5_utils.c:5602)()
>
> ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged
>

> The size of the main array is about 9 GB before compression, but the
> compressed files are less than 500 MB and closer to 400 MB. There are
> [...]

Sorry for this ridiculously late reply.

To check - you are trying to read the files that scipy generated
before the fix to raise an error for files that are too large?  Or
after the fix?  Does matlab read the files correctly?  Are you getting
the error with current scipy master?

Cheers,

Matthew