[SciPy-User] Hot Spot Analysis

Joe Kington joferkington at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 14:05:13 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Christoph Deil <
deil.christoph at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2014, at 13:53, Nils Wagner <nils106 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Assume that we have a spatial energy distribution given at discrete
> points in 3-D, i.e.
> >
> > E_i(x_i,y_i,z_i)
> >
> > where E_i denotes the energy and x_i,y_i,z_i are the corresponding
> coordinates.
> >
> > Is it possible to extract the local hot spots using scipy ?
> >
> > A small example is appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> >  Nils
>
> Maybe using one of these functions you can achieve what you want?
>

> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.ndimage.measurements.extrema.html
> http://scikit-image.org/docs/dev/api/skimage.feature.html#peak-local-max

Christoph

Similar to Christoph's suggestion, have a look at
scipy.ndimage.maximum_filter:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.ndimage.filters.maximum_filter.html#scipy.ndimage.filters.maximum_filter

There's a nice example of using it for a very similar use case here:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/3689710/325565

The stackoverflow answer is for 2D, but all of the `scipy.ndimage`
functions used there should work equally well for the 3D case.

Hope that helps!
-Joe