[SciPy-User] fit with 3 parameters ok, fit with 4 is going wrong!

Daπid davidmenhur at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 16:56:17 EST 2014

On 6 February 2014 22:20, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Daπid <davidmenhur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6 February 2014 18:55, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm interested, but slightly confused.   Iminuit / probfit is described
>>> as BSD, but depends on (and includes?) Minuit - isn't that GPL?
>>

>> The license says iminuit is MIT, but Minuit is GPLv2. So, the Python
>> part, that wraps the C code is MIT.
>>

> The way I understand it, code that wraps GPLv2 code is required to use
> GPL, and so propagate the license to all code using it. That would mean
> that code that uses Minuit cannot be something other than GPL.   Perhaps I
> am not understanding something.

That is a good point.

Reading the licenses, it is completely unclear to my interpretation. GNU
says that the whole package has to be compatible with GPL [1], and MIT, as
well as the revised BSD [2], are.

Regarding the implementations, to my knowledge, the closest thing is taking
it from a ROOT distribution, that is LGPL [3].

I admit I did not include lmfit in my benchmarks, I should give it a try.
After a quick look, the interface looks clumsier to write, but much nicer
to deal with programatically (ie, fitting an arbitrary number of
parameters), and a sure plus is the arbitrarily complex constrains and
bounds.

/David.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#GPLWrapper
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#OrigBSD