[SciPy-User] SciPy ecosystem and Python 3

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 20:22:37 EDT 2013

At a conversation over lunch here at the SciPy conference, a few of us
mentioned that we're starting to use Python 3 in earnest for our work.

For new users, the choice of two major Python versions is confusing and
offputting, and we're not going to completely get rid of that confusion
until we can simply point new users to Python 3. Most of our introductions,
like the SciPy stack install page, point to Python 2 because of the
ecosystem, but more and more packages now support Python 3, and we're
reaching the point where we could reasonably recommend Python 3 for new
users.

The aim of this post is to get an overview of where the ecosystem is with:
- What packages don't yet support Python 3, or are still too unstable?
- How important are each of those: how widely relevant are they, and are
substitutes available?
- What other conditions need to be met to recommend Python 3? E.g.
Scientific Python distros, Linux distro packaging, documentation, etc.

Thanks,
Thomas