[SciPy-User] leastsq

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 09:21:27 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Frédéric Parrenin
<parrenin.ujf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Josef,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> OK to use the curve_fit function with a change of variables to have a
> diagonal covariance matrix.
>
> However, here are two questions/remarks:
> - Curve_fit takes as input both the parameters to fit and a variable x where
> the data are 'located'. This approach seems sub-optimal since in many
> inverse problems, the function is evaluated for all x at a time. Running the
> function independently N times will significantly decrease the computation
> time.

I don't understand this part. We are fitting a curve to N
observations. We need all of them to calculate the residual sum of
squares.

> Maybe in this case the best thing to do is to declare that x is empty, but
> how to do that in practice?

You don't need to use x, you can just write f as a method in a class
and attach whatever attributes you want to reuse in the f method. (I'm
not completely remember how this was implemented, and no time to look
it up right now.)

> - It is not very clear from the scipy doc
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.curve_fit.html
> what the function f is supposed to return. Is it just a scalar function or
> can it be a ndarray or even something else?

the function should return an array of predicted values, one element
for each observation

> Some more complex examples in the doc would really help to better understand
> how it works.

There are several examples on stackoverflow, including the case when f
is a method in a class

Josef