[SciPy-User] Spline Interpolation with non continuous data

Eric Carlson ecarlson at eng.ua.edu
Mon Jun 24 16:44:34 EDT 2013

Hello,
pchip sometimes does wonders ("wonders"=="oscillation-free") on data
with piecewise continuous derivatives. Spline fits of degree 1 should
also work. OTOH, sometimes pchip makes little difference from regular
cubic splines, and in those cases the filtering may be your only option

import scipy.interpolate
from numpy import linspace
xdata = ...
ydata = ...
f_approx = scipy.interpolate.pchip(xdata,ydata)

####Now that you have continuous function, use it many ways,
###   for example:
xeval = linspace(x_low, x_high, 201) #set evaluation points
yeval = f_approx(xeval)

Cheers,
Eric