[SciPy-User] Help optimizing an algorithm

Chris Weisiger cweisiger at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:39:30 EST 2013

Okay, still working on the map_coordinates stuff. I don't have uniform
spacing for my sampling, but I believe it should be possible to work around
that. We have a 3D array of pixel data, where the axes are (sample, y, x),
i.e. the first axis is the index of the sample. If I can map into that
array and get values out in "sample indices", I can then map sample indices
to exposure times rather easily.

For example, if my exposure times are (10, 20, 25), and for a given pixel,
map_coordinates tells me 1.5, then that means that that pixel's exposure
time is 22.5 (halfway between the exposure times with indices 1 and 2).

Let's say that my sampling is just 2 4x3 images:

>>> a = np.arange(24.0).reshape(2,4,3)
>>> a
array([[[  0.,   1.,   2.],
        [  3.,   4.,   5.],
        [  6.,   7.,   8.],
        [  9.,  10.,  11.]],

       [[ 12.,  13.,  14.],
        [ 15.,  16.,  17.],
        [ 18.,  19.,  20.],
        [ 21.,  22.,  23.]]])

and I want to find the proper value for the (0, 0) pixel if its reported
value was 6. What I want in this case is actually .5 (i.e. halfway between
the two images). This is where I'm getting stuck, unfortunately. I'm
missing some conversion or something, I think. Help would be appreciated.

-Chris