[SciPy-User] scipy install: atlas incomplete

Cable, Sam B Civ USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXI Sam.Cable at kirtland.af.mil
Fri Jan 18 19:54:49 EST 2013

I am trying to install scipy, and encountering problems.  Comparing my
results to the FAQ page, it looks like my ATLAS is incomplete.  The page
says:

LAPACK library provided by ATLAS is incomplete

You will notice it when getting import errors like

ImportError: .../flapack.so : undefined symbol: sgesdd_

To be sure that NumPy/SciPy is built against a complete LAPACK, check the
size of the file liblapack.a - it should be about 6MB. The location of
liblapack.a is shown by executing

python numpy/distutils/system_info.py lapack

To fix: follow the instructions in
<http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp> Building a
complete LAPACK library to create a complete liblapack.a. Then copy
liblapack.a to the same location where libatlas.a is installed and retry
with scipy build.

The actual object I am missing is "sgges_".  I have tried two solutions.

1) I have followed the ATLAS instructions for making a complete build of
LAPACK, rev. 3.4.2.  (BTW, the resulting LAPACK is about 10MB, bigger than
the 6MB in the FAQ.)

2) I have found a pre-compiled binary for LAPACK - rev. unclear -- and just
downloaded it and dropped it in place.  (It is close to the 6MB in size.)

I get the same problem regardless.

"nm" shows sgges_ defined in liblapack.a plain as day.

System_info.py finds my lapack just fine in /usr/local/lib.

Is this a critical failure?  Is there anything else to do?

BTW, I am running python 2.7 on a 64 bit CentOs 5.x machine and gfortran is
my FORTRAN compiler.

Thanks.