[SciPy-User] Questions/comments about scipy.stats.mannwhitneyu

Chris Rodgers xrodgers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 18:28:53 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please bottom or inline post.
>>>
>>> I don't have any direct experience with this.
>>>
>>> The >20 samples is just a guideline (as usual). If you have many ties,
>>> then I would expect be that you need more samples (no reference).
>>>
>>> What I would do in cases like this is to run a small Monte Carlo, with
>>> Poisson data, or data that looks somewhat similar to your data, to see
>>> whether the test has the correct size (for example reject roughly 5%
>>> at a 5% alpha), and to see whether the test has much power in small
>>> samples.
>>> I would expect that the size is ok, but power might not be large
>>> unless the difference in the rate parameter is large.
>>
>> (Since I was just working on a different 2 sample test, I had this almost ready)
>> https://gist.github.com/josef-pkt/4969715
>>
>> Even for sample size of each sample equal to 10, the results look
>> still pretty ok, slightly under rejecting.
>> with 20 observations each, size is pretty good
>> power is good for most lambda differences I looked at (largish).
>> (I only used 1000 replications)
>
> with asymmetric small sample sizes
> n_mc = 50000
> nobs1, nobs2 = 15, 5 #20, 20
> we also get a bit of under rejection, especially at small alpha (0.005 or 0.01)
>
> (and as fun part:
> plotting the histogram of the p-values shows gaps, because with ranks
> not all values are possible; if I remember the interpretation
> correctly.)
>
> Josef
>

>> Sometimes I'm surprised how fast we get to the asymptotics.
>>
>> Josef
>>

>>> Another possibility is to compare permutation p-values with asymptotic
>>> p-values, to see whether they are close.
>>>
>>> There should be alternative tests, but I don't think they are
>>> available in python, specific tests for comparing count data (I have
>>> no idea), general 2 sample goodness-of-fit test (like ks_2samp) but we
>>> don't have anything for discrete data.
>>>
>>> If you want to go parametric, then you could also use poisson (or
>>> negative binomial) regression in statsmodels, and directly test the
>>> equality of the distribution parameter. (there is also zeroinflated
>>> poisson, but with less verification).
>>>
>>> Josef

Thanks for checking that, and great to hear that mann-whitney works
well (or even slightly conservatively) for this use case.

To add some content besides a thanks, here is my wrapper for Python
calls to R's wilcox.test , in case it is useful for anyone out there.
https://github.com/cxrodgers/my/blob/master/stats.py

The actual call is pretty simple, but there is a lot of extra error
checking. I'm an experimentalist so a lot of my data is
ugly/incomplete compared to simulations, so I check for empty
variables or all-ties cases which will throw RuntimeErrors. I also
worry about rounding error distorting the ranks of equal floats
(again, ugly data).

The overall running time is much much slower than Scipy's
mannwhitneyu, but the 1) increased error checking; 2) avoiding the
current bug in scipy.stats.rankdata; and 3) returning the inferred
direction of the effect makes it worth it for me personally.