[SciPy-User] BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

MaraMaus at nurfuerspam.de MaraMaus at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Feb 15 06:04:07 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to install scipy (originally I only wanted to install odespy, which requires odelab which requires scipy...).

I'm using Windows (32 bit). I followed the instructions in
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
to install BLAS, where I only had to adjust the step where the environment variable is set by export for Windows. I use MinGW and blas.tgz was unpacked in the directory /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS:

Mara at Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ gfortran -O2 -std=legacy -fno-second-underscore -c *.f
dann build libfblas.a library, and set environment variable BLAS
Mara at Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ar r libfblas.a *.o
C:\MinGW\bin\ar.exe: creating libfblas.a
Mara at Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ranlib libfblas.a
Mara at Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ rm -rf *.o
Mara at Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"

Now when trying to install scipy via
>python setup.py install
I encounter the following error:

 in get_info
    raise self.notfounderror(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
numpy.distutils.system_info.BlasNotFoundError:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.

I assume it has something to do with the step
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"
above, which might be wrong...?

I would be glad for any help! Thank you in advance,
Mara