[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Andreas Hilboll lists at hilboll.de
Wed Sep 26 02:40:43 EDT 2012

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Travis Oliphant <travis at continuum.io>
> wrote:
>> I guess LaunchPad has some nice integrations with PPA concepts.    I
>> withdraw my recommendation about Github for this purpose.   But, there
>> is a pylab github account that can be used.
>
> Yes a PPA is strictly so that debian/ubuntu/debian-derivative users
> can add it as a source for automatically-updated packages.
>
> Though I'd like to add that our wonderful friends at neurodebian
> already fill much of this role, I'm not really sure we need a new PPA.
>  They pretty much package everything we're talking about here, do it
> on time, and I'd rather encourage reuse and support of their
> extraordinary efforts than build a new one next to theirs.  If upon
> closer inspection we find good reasons *not* to use neurodebian, so be
> it; but let's not *start* by effectively redoing a small piece of what
> Yarik and Michael have already built up with so much work.

Yes, Neurodebian looks extremely helpful. However, do they package numpy
and scipy? I couldn't find it on the package list at

   http://neuro.debian.net/pkglists/pkgs-by_release-ubuntu_12.04_lts_%22precise_pangolin%22_%28precise%29.html#pkgs-by-release-ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin-precise

Ubuntu 12.04 is still at scipy 0.9 ...

Apart from that, I agree that there isn't be any need to duplicate
efforts. Somewhere on the pylab Homepage it should then clearly say
something about Neurodebian, and there should be a pylab metapackage on
Neurodebian.

Cheers, Andreas.