[SciPy-User] SciPy-User Digest, Vol 109, Issue 58

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:14:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Robaula <helmrp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> As a Windows-only user, and interested mainly in quickly getting my application running and generating results, I want something that installs everything I need and lets me get on with it. And I don't want to learn or use Linux along the way.
>
> I'll be seriously discouraged if to start getting results after installing SciPy orPyLab, I next have to install A. But to install A, I first have to install B. Then I next have to install C, and then D, etc.
>
> I also get seriously irritated when after all that I discover that to use SciPy or PyLab functions FFF and GGG, I have to make sure I've first imported modules MM1 and MM2 -- and many times scratch around until I find what modules contain FFF and the other function(s) I need. Why should _I_ do that? Why doesn't SciPy or PyLab know where it's functions are and just automatically import the right module(s)? Seems like all it would take is to add a line to each function importing the appropriate module(s).

Because the program/package cannot or should not guess which function you want.
scipy.linalg or numpy.linalg
numpy.any or python's any
and so on.

when you load some R packages, then you get warnings like, this and
this function has been overwritten by the package that has been
loaded.
In Stata there is a chapter describing the search path and the priority.
Similar in matlab, I always had to guess where the function is coming
from and if the function I wanted hasn't been replaced by something
else. And I was careful, adding a prefix to my function names, so I
don't make mistakes.

names spaces are one honking ...
>>> import this

The windows help file makes searching and finding the location of a
function very easy.

Josef