[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Mon Sep 24 10:14:14 EDT 2012

On 9/23/12 6:27 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Jason Grout
> <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> In Sage, we also have the %attach magic, which effectively re-runs a
>> file every time it changes.  This is a bit different than autoreload;
>> maybe it would make a good addition to IPython to complement %run?
>
> How does it detect changes?  Does it poll in the background or does it
> use posix-only tools?  Remember, ipython runs on windows natively :)
>
> But if the solution is cross-platform, then it sounds like a great
> addition indeed.  Ideally it would have support for some of the %run
> options that make sense (such as -t to report timing or -n to not set
> __name__ to '__main__').

Before any code block is run, it checks the modified time on attached
files.  If the modified time is newer than the last time we ran it, it
runs the file again before running the code block.  So I think it can do
its work in the pre-run-code hook.

But Thomas is right that this conversation should probably moved to the
ipython mailing list.

Thanks,

Jason