[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Almar Klein a.klein at science-applied.nl
Sun Sep 23 16:44:42 EDT 2012

On 23 September 2012 17:37, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 September 2012 16:28, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> > After years of frustration with PIL's broken tiff support and with how
> it's
> > managed, I don't think I can answer that question objectively......
>
> Well, if you think FreeImage is a better option, you're welcome to
> voice that. Anyone who disagrees can also speak up ;-)

Now is probably a good time to mention imageio (
http://imageio.readthedocs.org). This is a project that spun off from the
FreeImage wrapper in sk-image (which was written mostly by Zach Pincus),
and is intended to replace PIL for reading/writing images. It has a plugin
system so that additional (scientific) formats can be added relatively
easily. Right now FreeImage is the only plugin, but it gives support for
lots of popular image formats.

It started just this summer, and I consider it beta, but the codebase is
small (FreeImage does most of the work), so a stable version should not be
far off. I don't advocate putting it in the pylab spec now, but wanted to
mention it because PIL was brought up (I'd like to avoid PIL).

Oh, one important thing is that imageio was designed with easy distribution
in mind from the start; t's pure Python with a cpython wrapper for the
FreeImage lib (which is automatically downloaded at install-time).

  Almar