[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 16:59:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> (Did you know that at least on Linux, and with moderately recent
> version of the various pieces involved, you can do 'pip install --user
> <whatever>' and you just get a single-user install, no muss or fuss? I
> only discovered this *yesterday*, and no idea whether it also works on
> other platforms or whether there's some slightly differently-colored
> hoop you have to jump through to get the same behaviour. But it's
> lovely -- finally I can stop beginning every new-user tutorial with
> "okay, first, let's set you up with a local virtualenv and modify your
> .bashrc to activate it". If only it were the default...)

This was added to distutils itself in python 2.6:
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html#pep-370-per-user-site-packages-directory.
 I don't know when pip started exposing it easily, I know you used to
have to pass it in a more awkward way but it was still possible.

You still have to do one thing at the bashrc level: any scripts a
package provides will go into ~/.local/bin, which will need to be
added to the user's *PATH*, it's only the handling of PYTHONPATH that
becomes automatic now.

Cheers,