[SciPy-User] Pylab - standard packages

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 21:22:35 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> The part of IPython that's pretty much universal is the command line
> interface, so I don't see a problem with setting the minimum version to
> 0.10.

I really hope not.  The internals of IPython, the configuration, the
usage, everything, is *completely* different in the 0.10 series and
afterwards.  We don't maintain or support 0.10 anymore.  It would be a
huge disservice to users to get them going on something that's already
obsolete.

Obviously we can discuss whether IPython shouldn't go in.  But if it's
going in, it should absolutely be a useful, up to date and widely
supported version.  Let's make this a forward-looking standard, not
something that needs to run on python2.4 on CentOS 3.0.

Cheers,