[SciPy-User] Naming Conventions

The Helmbolds helmrp at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 21:26:38 EDT 2012

OK. Exactly what criteria are you using, and how do the two compare on them? I've shown you mine. Your turn.

Descriptive names are useful in attracting new "customers". I first became aware of Python because I was interested in discrete event simulators and stumbled upon SimPy, which in turn led to Python. Otherwise, you're right -- I never would've suspected Python was a programming language. Or that it takes its name from a TV comedy rather than a snake. Of course, nobody wants to use any "bland, uninspiring" names no matter where they come from.

But maybe I don't grasp exactly what it is that is you're all trying to find a good name for. I thought it was a name for a really easy-to-use intuitive user interface to the power and versatility of NumPy + SciPy + MatPlotLib, all harnessed, synchronized, driven and deftly controlled by the Python programming/scripting language. If that's the case, then maybe "SciPyUI" would describe it even better than "SciPyPlus". Set me straight if I've not grasped the core of what's involved here. A good written definition of it would help to give beter focus to this discussion of names. Otherewise we may be trying to "name an elephant" as in the oft-cited parable of the blind men describing an elephant.

As for non-descriptive names like Apple, Google, Amazon, etc., when SciPy has the advertising budget they have, then you're right -- we can pick any name whatever, the cuter the better! In fact, non-descriptive names for large (or wannabe large) commercial enterprises are a super good idea, because then the business can engage in anything under the sun without ever changing its name (e.g., "Enron" or "Litton"). In the meantime, a good descriptive name for this SciPy thing helps to attract "customers".

You know, as I read your post, I get the impression you kinda agree that usually names that too readily lend themselves to a nasty parody should be avoided.

"Attractiveness" should be construed in the sense of drawing and stimulating intellectual attention and promoting the desire to learn more about the thing named. It's not intended to refer to "prettiness". But I do indeed agree with you that some acronyms and short names can have a repulsive or ugly-sounding ring to them, and those should be avoided.

I'm find your suggestion about SciPyPlus implying that folks should get their feet wet by starting with SciPy interesting, and that may be something to consider. However, if PyLab can easily be adapted to the purpose at hand, I guess SciPyPlus could be, too.

As someone at present still rather on the fringe of this "community", but still very much interested in it, concerned about its future, and anxious to help it grow and improve, I find "PyLab" not descriptive. To me, it sounds more like a chemistry or biological laboratory than a versatile computing/graphical suite of digital programs. Or else just a weak echo of, vaguely related to, or part of "MatLab." Also, I trust you did not mean to imply that only those in the "community" would be affected and influenced by the choice of a name. Indeed, I hope we find a name that encourages many current "outsiders"  to join with, use, and contribute their talents to this "community."